Thursday, February 5

Heaven and Helen

My wife's grandmother, Helen, in her 10th decade, suffered a large heart attack about a week ago. She'd been in the hospital ever since, at times seeming like she'd pull through, at other times seeming pretty frail and showing her age and condition. Upon her being admitted to the hospital, the nurses told the family to expect Helen to not leave the hospital, and so, over the past week, we were expecting death to come. Today at noon It did.

I wasn't really close to Helen. I liked her and she was friendly enough to me over our 20 years of knowing each other, but in the past few years, I'd only seen her a couple of times. Karyn and Cameron, the church-goers in our family of three, would see her much more often at church.

One of my last memories of her was when she, still living on her own in her own home, invited us to stay for lunch during one of our visits to see her. We didn't really want to stay but we did. She made us Kraft Dinner. From what I remember, she didn't have any milk for the cheese mix, so she used a bit of water instead. Unfortunately, she used too much water, and the resulting cheese sauce was pretty weak. Actually, the word 'weak' implies much more flavour than what was contained in that dinner. It was, by far, the worst macaroni and cheese I've ever eaten.

Still, it was a nice visit, and she was remarkably smart and clear and spright for a lady of her age. And in my 20 years of knowing her, I've never seen her angry or unpleasant, and she was always quick to laugh.



She was a pretty religious lady. And even though I am not religious at all... Helen, I hope everything works out for you.



No comments: