Thursday, October 30

Never one to indulge, overly,

Never one to indulge, overly, in self-promotion (this flaw, by the way, is the only reason [so I keep telling myself] I've never become as famous as I'd have liked), I nonetheless feel compelled to tell the world about a couple of things I've been involved in that will be presented at the upcoming Reel Island Film Festival, November 12-16 in Charlottetown.



The first is the 22 minute film Florid. It's a black comedy about 4 bums ("We're bums, not assholes!") who, in the dead-cold of a Charlottetown winter, get the idea to move to Florida and bum in warmer climes. The movie records their endeavours to raise the capital necessary for the move. I play one of the bums. I also co-wrote (along with good pal, Dave Stewart, who directed). This project took far too long (over 3 years, I believe) to complete and has some rather significant plot holes. Yet, beyond all that, it's a pretty funny, warped movie.



The other involvement is in the showing of the pilot for a TV series called Cinemaniax created and produced by good pal Dave Moses. The format has, I believe, changed somewhat since this pilot production, but the concept was: 3 teams of 2 film-makers are given an idea for a film, some actors and some equipment. They then have 2 days to write, film and edit their short movie, afterwhich the 3 films are presented to an audience which votes for their favourite. Good ole Dave Stewart and I were one team for the pilot, Team Smithee. I believe the 3 short movies created for the pilot are still available for viewing at the Cinemaniax website. The Team Smithee entry is called 'With This Job'. We didn't win.



No comments: