Saturday, October 4

I went into Burger King

I went into Burger King to buy CB some hashbrowns, because today's his birthday and that's what he wanted..

While waiting for them to heat up, I make eye contact with the guy sweeping up behind the counter. I nod, he smiles, seemingly, with recognition of me. Now, I am terrible with remembering people, both names and faces. Since he recognizes me, I assume I should know him, but I don't. Perhaps he saw me in a show, I think.

"You know what I always think about when I see you?" he says as he continues sweeping. Somewhere in the back of my brain I imagine that it's something from Annekenstein or 4Play, or something likewise pleasant. But in the front of my brain, I know exactly to what he's referring.

"It must've been about 10 years ago, now," he adds. Yeah, I know exactly what it is. Here it comes.

"The Peter Pan."

Sigh.

"Yeah, that's one I can't escape," I say.

"Huh?"

"I took a lot of ribbing for doing that."

"What is it you said? 'Peter Pan, Peter Pan, Peter Pan!', and the high voice."

"That's it, pretty much."

"That was a good one."

"Memorable, anyway."

Off he goes to sweep in back. Leaving me with the young girl who was bagging the hash browns, who obviously had no idea what we were talking about.



Someday, people like her will be all that remain. I look forward to that day.



No comments: