Thursday, March 6

American Idol - Top 8 Girls

Okay, overwhelming demand demands I post my thoughts on last night's performances by the girls of American Idol.

Who am I to disappoint an imaginary following?

Here they are:

Asia'h Epperson - "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)": Despite the awfulness of the song, it's a good, strong performance to start off the show. She has strong vocals and showed them off. Good for her. Simon, making the first of numerous comments I disagree with (usually I agree with everything he says - does he have ulterior motives this season?), didn't like it. He is wrong.


Kady Malloy - "Who Wants To Live Forever": She shouldn't be in the competition. She doesn't have the vocal range needed. And Simon is right: she has no personality when she sings. Goodbye Kady, this week.

Amanda Overmeyer - "I Hate Myself For Loving You"
: Everyone else gushed about this performance, but I didn't get it. I've fallen off the Overmeyer wagon (don't think I was ever on it, actually) because every performance sounds and looks the same. Sure, she has a strong voice, and mostly sings all the right notes, but there's something missing from her performances. At too many times during her performance, it seemed to me she was just going through the motions. Then, occasionally, she'd nail it for a few moments. I guess it's those nailed moments that sold the judges, but it was the motions moments that I didn't buy.

Carly Smithson - "I Drove All Night": Again, Simon is wrong by saying this wasn't the right song for her. I thought she completely nailed it. Great vocal, so shut up Simon! Carly is kind of an odd contestant. She reminds me of Seinfeld's girlfriend in his show, the one who would look gorgeous or ugly depending on the shadows. Not saying she looks ugly, ever, but depending on the angle, her appearance changes dramatically. I like her a fair amount.

Kristy Lee Cook - "Faithfully": Simon is right, here, though. She is forgettable. Her performance was okay, but she just doesn't have the chops and personality that most others in the competition have. She's at risk of leaving this week.

Ramiele Malubay - "Against All Odd": Like the other judges said, she seems to have lost confidence in her performances. She did a good job with singing, but it should have been so much more. I think you're safe this week, but watch that lack of confidence, sister! Own that stage! Raaahhhhh!!!

Brooke White - "Love Is A Battlefield": I hadn't warmed up to Brooke until last night's performance. I thought it was a great performance, and again, Simon was right when he said it worked because she didn't arrange it so that the band built up to a big ending (like Paula wanted). A nice, yummy performance. I'm growing into a fan, I think.

Syesha Mercado - "Saving All My Love For You": Okay, good performance, but nothing was done to elevate you above the pack of talented singers. And you gotta watch those "Broadway" things you do. That's all I'm gonna say. Other than, your look is exactly the type of girl who I want to live in a loft in Manhattan with, reading the Sunday Times in bed, wearing only and panties and my t-shirt, as you pad across the hardwood floor to get us both another cup of coffee. And a second danish for you, you bad girl! And oh how we'd laugh! Our friends would hate how much in love we are. But we wouldn't care. That's why I'm a fan of you. But, I can't be too much a fan of you, though, because I know that someday you'll leave me and our loft for some creepy artiste you found in the village, who says he loves you for you, but really just wants another conquest. Dammit! Don't you see that my love for you is honest, and pure, and forever? Why? Why would you do this to me? How can you just end it like that?

Leaving this week: Kady Malloy and Kristy Lee Cook. They should be the ones to leave, and I'll say they will be the ones to go.





No comments: