Wednesday, January 25

Win or Lose, I Win or Tie

Only one more game to be played in the NFL this season.  That means only one more pick left to be made in The Annekenstein Monster's NFL pick'em pool.  Currently, I am one game ahead of reverseflash for the lead of our pool of four players.  That means that no matter what happens in the final game, I will be either tied for first or will win the pool out-right.
It was a hard-fought battle, with a few lead changes throughout the season.
Thanks to everyone for playing.  By "everyone" I mean the three guys who played.

As for the NFL season itself, I think it was a pretty good one.  The Colts prove once again that the pursuit of the perfect season can be devastating to a team's motivation, heading into the playoffs.  With nothing of substance to play for in their final three games, the Colts had lost their edge when it came time to getting back to playing a meaningful game again.  I'd rather my team lose a game early in the season, get that "perfect season" stuff out of the way early, then have your final game of the regular season be of some import.  Preferably import such as Win and you get home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.

As for my beloved Dolphins, I can't be upset about their season even though they didn't make the playoffs.  New coach Nick Saban seems to have the team definitely moving in the right direction.  They were substantially improved over the season before.  The future looks good for the Dolphins, and will look especially bright if they can acquire a good young quarterback.  Nothing but care-taker qbs since Marino retired has gotten really tiring.  Time now to get a quarterback who can be a star.
I hope, too, that the Ronnie Brown-Rickie Williams running back tandem stays in place.  With last week's  announcement that Mike Mularkey (a run-first type of coach) has signed on to be Offensive Co-ordinator,
it's looking like it might be a good idea to keep the two RBs.  Keep them, and Chris Chambers at receiver, and add a good qb, and the Dolphins could have a pretty sweet offense next year.
In any event, a run for the playoffs should definitely be an attainable goal for the Dolphins next year.



10 comments:

graham said...

It was a good season for the pool.
As far as playoffs, I believe mine truly made the best picks. I am the greetest, but I must now leave for no raison.

dylan said...

Enjoyed the pool Rob. Hopefully next year we get a few more people into it. And with any luck next year I won't dig myself a big hole in the first two weeks. Like I had said earlier I'm glad to see the pool be up in the air with the Superbowl on the line.

Rob said...

Yeah, next year we'll have to get a whole group of people involved. Maybe offer some cheap prizes as enticement.
Thanks for playing. By the way, who you picking for the SuperBowl, Dylan? (of course, I'd never use that information to use against you to guarantee that I outright win the pool)

dylan said...

But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would pick the favourite or their enemy? Now, a clever man would pick the favourite, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for the underdog. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the favourite. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the underdog.

dylan said...

But Dennis Miller comes from Pittsburgh, as everyone knows, and like you he is a comedian, and comedianss are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the Steelers. And you must have suspected I would have known the comedian's origin, so I can clearly not choose the Seahawks.
You've beaten Graham, which means you're exceptionally clever, so you could've chosen his team the Seahawks, trusting on his luck to save you, so I can clearly not choose the Seahawks. But, you've also bested myself so far, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that teams appearing for the first time in a Superbowl are 4-5, so you would have picked the team with Superbowl experience, so I can clearly not choose the Steelers.
YOU'VE GIVEN EVERYTHING AWAY! I KNOW WHO YOUR PICK IS!!!

Rob said...

Incontheivable.

Yanik said...

To…blathe.

graham said...

LIAR!!!

dylan said...

Anybody want a Peanut?

graham said...

intresting....