Thursday, July 12

A Personal Confession

Maybe it was two years ago, but it may also have happened last summer.  Ever since it happened, though, it's been weighing on my mind.  Now I need the truth to come out so that, hopefully, I can have some sore of forgiveness of sin.

It happened before or after a Sketch22 show, I don't remember.  Some of the cast and crew were sitting around the theatre, talking.  Lorrie J, our marvelous front of house volunteer, was wearing a T-Shirt that said "Cougar In Training".  At that time, I didn't know what a cougar was, at least in reference to the quote.  I assumed it meant a hottie or some other such-implied definition. 

So, in trying to be honest, and complimentary, I said, sincerely, to Lorrie "As far as I'm concerned, you already are a cougar" or something similar. 

She had an oh-so-ever-slight moment of pause, and then responded in some sort of non-committal way.  Then the conversation went elsewhere.  Only afterwards did I learn what a cougar is, and how, basically, I was telling her that I thought she was middle-aged.  I was telling her she was old.

I felt bad about that. 

So, if any harm.. any emotional distress was caused by this, I sincerely apologize.



3 comments:

sprague said...

Fortunately for you Rob, cougar has become a badge of honor! And besides, Lorrie is middle aged. (duck...cover)

dylan said...

Sprague is just jealous that he's to old to attract Lo-J's interest now.

Lo said...

Yes Dylan, you are right. And it's a badge of honour don't be disresptin!