Friday, March 2

Want Fries With That?

March is Kidney Month.  Or Kidney Awareness Month.  Something like that.  The Kidney Foundation would know for sure.
Anyway, the upshot is that KRock and Ocean, as part of our awareness campaign to promote the fact that 25 cents from every bowl of chili sold in March at PEI Wendys, some of us radio station employees went to the five island restaurants and helped serve chili and stuff for three hours yesterday.

I went to the Montague location and, along with Kerri Wynne MacLeod and Zack Bell, dished out chili and pop and whatever else to customers.  It was an interesting experience.  My first fast (and last?) food service experience from the other side of the counter.
It's impressive how much of a military operation it all is.  Everything is keyed to get the food to the customer under 90 seconds. Everyone works together to achieve that goal.
I was a little worried, going into the day, that our presence there would create chaos, getting in the way of people who were striving to perform their tasks.  In fact, though, we got along fine, mostly because we ended up being those people who were striving to perform their tasks.  I was on Dishing Chili detail.  KW poured the drinks and Zack made sure everything was a-ok on the customer's tray (in other words, more of a supervisory role).
Montague has two noon-time rushes.  The first usually starts at 11:37 (it's that precise.  And it did start on the minute).  The second, shortly after noon.
When everything goes well, as it did when we were there, the servers seem to have a very positive attitude.  Maybe part of that was because we were there, and our excited anxiety and joking attitudes made everyone smile.  I kind of got the impression, though, that positivism is a regular thing behind the counter at Montague. 
I served out quite a bit of chili (my biggest rush job was a 6 Large Chili order for the drive-thru), and the pop flowed continually.  I was surprised at how many people order drinks with no ice.
I had a pretty good time.  I was nervous that it would be awful. Honestly, though, I couldn't wait to leave, as I was starting to feel the grease seeping in to me all over my body.  Even today, I still feel like I have a thin layer of food grease.
I'm glad I've had that brief glimpse at life on the other side of the fast food counter, but I'm glad it's not a job I have to do.  Those people work way too hard for far too little money and leave their work-place feeling far too greasy.  Good on them for doing it in such a pleasant manner.



1 comment:

dylan said...

I always get no ice. Especially important if your in Moncton or other location with horrible water.