Monday, July 17

Emotional Interpretation

I was watching The Nature of Things yesterday.  It was an episode on Buddhist medicine, and focused on a particular monk performing various doctor/priest roles in the community, and how ancient natural medical practices have survived despite being banned during communist years.  When they showed him interacting with people in his community, they, naturally, spoke their native language, which was translated into English.  I found the translations rather disconcerting though, because the translators, as they translated, tried to convey the emotion of the situation through their own voices.  I'm used to hearing translators translate in a rather dull monotone, with no emotional emphasis on the words they speak.  I didn't like this touchy-feely approach to translating.  I hope it's not the wave of the future.



No comments: