Wednesday, October 1

Is Crying Just Laughing Slowed Down?

I may have already spoiled it.  Below is a video of a baby laughing, but the sound is slowed down.  I watched the first half of it, and couldn't help but laugh myself.  Laughter is infectious, it seems, even at half speed.
Go have a look and listen now.  Because if you keep reading and then go and watch it, you won't be able to enjoy it as laughter.  And it should be enjoyed as laughter.
Seriously, go and watch it, then come back.
Okay, you watched it. Now go and watch it again (actually, don't watch, just listen), but this time, don't listen to it as if it's laughter.  Listen to it as if it's someone crying.
Like, really wailing.  Imagine they've just broken up with their girlfriend, and is home alone, late at night, crying.  (Once you do, you won't be able to hear it as laughter anymore).

I think I've just discovered that crying is just laughter slowed down.  What are the implications of that?  Is crying just enjoying yourself, but at a really slow pace?


Check out this video: Slow Motion Baby Laugh

 

Add to My Profile | More Videos



3 comments:

Karyn said...

Crying is emotion.........a release of emotion that shows sorrow or grief whereas laughter is the opposite. Interesting theory, Rob but I don't buy it. Are we crying each time we see "Sketch"? I suppose it depends on the person. I know there have been times when people "laughed so hard they cried" and that what you aim for, eh, dear?

Karyn said...

Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.
- Kurt Vonnegut

Tim said...

Next experiment should be to take someone crying and speed it up to see how it sounds.