Sunday, November 6

"No Show" Jones

I'm a pretty big fan of George Jones.  Truthfully, not much of a fan of his later (past 15 years) stuff, but I love his 60's, 70's and early 80's songs.  Frank Sinatra once said of George Jones (paraphrasing): He has the second best voice in America.
So, back in the spring, when I was working at CFCY, and I heard that CFCY was presenting George Jones' performance in November in Charlottetown, I put out feelers for free radio station tickets.  I got lucky as the station's new Promotions Director, who, unknown to anyone, was going to quit the next day, gave me two tickets.
Not really knowing anyone else who was much of a George Jones fan, I asked my father if he wanted to go with me.  He said he wasn't a huge Jones fan, but he'd go with me if there was nobody else who would rather go.
Making the date, I put the tickets in my wallet.  This was in the spring.  Over the summer I had thought of, and looked forward to the concert, quite a few times.
Last night at about 11:30, I heard a country-ish song on some TV commercial which reminded me of George Jones.  That made me think the tickets in my wallet.  "Hmm", I thought, "that concert is in November sometime?"  I go to my wallet, get the tickets and see:

George Jones, November 5 -  8pm -  Charlottetown Civic Centre

I missed the show!  I'm an idiot!
I wonder if it was a good show?  I didn't hear anything about it.  I even wonder if it took place?  I assume it did.



5 comments:

señior psychosis said...

"...It's been so long now but it seems now it was only yesterday
Gee ain't it funny how time slips away..."

Hans said...

George was a true professional, singing many of the old favourites and graciously trying to charm and amuse the big crowd. His voice was weak at first but got stronger as the night wore on. The Jones Boys played to perfection. The possum was on stage for about 1.5 hours in total.

Rob said...

thanks for the review, Hans

Hans said...

sorry you missed it.

Calico Cat said...

Rob, you are an idiot for missing the show. I love George Jones's work...
Send me your wallet once a week, I'll go through it and purge the useless stuff (less the cash). My wife does mine on a regular basis. Old lottery tickets, motel bills, phone numbers etc...