Wednesday, March 9

I Can't Find My Singing Voice

Some might say I never could find my singing voice.
I have noticed, in the last five years or so in particular, that I am no longer able to sing as well as I used to.  My voice has grown a little deeper and my range is not near what it used to be.  Notes in songs that I used to be able to sing along to in a high tenor voice are now unreachable.  I have to actively find the notes in the limited range I now am forced to sing in.  This can lead to some fugly sounds as I fail to find a register that I'm comfortable in. 
It's like my voice is between floors
Is this just a result of growing older?  I assume it's common to lose range in your singing voice as you age.



10 comments:

Nils said...

Yep. Your vocal cords become thicker and less elastic and result in a loss of upper-end range. There's a corresponding (although I'm not sure if it's related) loss of upper-registry hearing in men as they get older, too. Throw in man-boobs and a saggy butt, and getting older is just not as fun as it's made out to be.

maryanne said...

How often do you sing? You might be able to get some range back with practice. Also your level of hydration can affect it. Man-boobs are harder to correct,but that would never happen to you Rob would it?

Rob said...

(.)(.)
I'm not too concerned with my man-boobs yet. It's my man-pregnant-stomach that is my trouble.

maryaNNE said...

put a little Vitamin E on it. at least you'll feel like you're doing something.

andrea said...

no matter how you feel about your singing voice, your rendition of "I'm Soaking My Prune For Recess" remains one of my most favourite musical moments ever.

andrea said...

no matter how you feel about your singing voice, your rendition of "I'm Soaking My Prune For Recess" remains one of my most favourite musical moments ever.

maryanne said...

You should record that as a sound file for the blog. I would play it every day.

andrea said...

i loved it so much, i had to post it twice.

Rob said...

I loved singing that song. I think it's best left to memories, though.

maryanne said...

are you saying nostalgia is making us remember it more fondly? IMPOSSIBLE! And i say that like the french do!